The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast - Matthew 13:31-35

The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast

31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”33 He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.” 34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:“I will open my mouth in parables,I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”

Reflection: Today Jesus tells two more parables which are similar in nature and design. The word parable comes from the Greek word "parabolas", which means to compare two things side by side. It is similar today to what we would call simile and metaphors, which are literary devices we use to create meaning to our words. The passage today is very intent on saying that everything Jesus spoke was in parables to fulfill what the prophet Isaiah said in chapter 6.

So what can we glean from the two parable Jesus gives us today when he says, "the kingdom of God is like..." What both parables teach us that both the seed and the yeast start out as rather insignificant ingredients to the growth process. A small seed is really small compared to huge trees that has birds that nest in it. A little yeast seems paltry compared to the 60 pounds of dough. I mean that's a lot of dough. But this is what Jesus compares the kingdom to.

I don't know about you but one of the biggest discouragements I face is when I wonder, "Am I really making a difference?" Is my small and insignificant offering going to really have a large effect on God's kingdom coming here on earth as it is in heaven. To give you background, the reason I became a pastor is when I asked myself, "What am I doing with my life that will make a difference for all of eternity?" This led me to seminary moving out to the West Coast from the Midwest and starting a whole new life. I have been a pastor now for almost 20 years and on my worst days I wonder if I am like that seed or yeast, and yet often in spite of myself God will remind me that it is He that makes things grow not me. It is my faith and trust in Him as expressed through my obedience to what He has taught us is all that matters. I don't control the outcome only the input as led and inspired by God's Word and Holy Spirit.

So take heart my friend you may feel that what you are offering is insignificant but the smallest seed sown in the kingdom could produce some pretty big trees. And maybe we won't even see the impact we have had until we get to heaven. Keep up the good work friends, spread the Word in season and out of season, knowing you do not labor in vain and I will do the same.

Jesus thank you for the opportunity you give us to be that tiny seed that can have a huge impact in your kingdom coming on earth as it is in heaven. Help us to cling to you and your power and not be discouraged. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?