Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial

27 “You will all fall away,” Jesus told them, “for it is written:

“‘I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep will be scattered.’
28 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

29 Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.” 30 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “today—yes, tonight—before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.” 31 But Peter insisted emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the others said the same.

Reflection:
Suddenly the intimate last supper with his disciples turned into a dire prediction. Jesus says, "You will all fall away because of me." While Jesus introduces the new covenant, which would be accomplished through his body being broken and blood being poured out, he predicts the betrayal of all his disciples. Notice it says, "you will all fall away!" So often we focus on Peter's denial, but in fact all the disciples fell away. It is just that brash Peter thinks he is the exception.

But Jesus informs Peter that not only will he deny him once, not twice, but three times. But Peter insists he will not fall away, as do the others. While their allegiance is high in this intimate moment with their friend and savior, their survival mechanism will kick in later. In fact, Peter will say, "I never knew the man". So how can we explain the big reversal?

The only way we can explain it is that these guys are just human. They are responding as only they could do in the flesh. They did not have the Holy Spirit yet to keep them in true faith. They are acting as most of us would. Jesus gives us an inkling of how he will empower them to do differently after He rises from the dead. And he says, "I will go ahead of you into Galilee!"

So what can we learn from this? I think it comes down to what we are relying on. Peter was relying on sheer will in saying, "I will never betray you!" The problem is he is relying on "I". In probably the most quoted line from Martin Luther's Small Catechism he states, "I cannot by my own understanding or effort come to know Jesus is Lord. But the Holy Spirit has called me, enlightened me with his gifts and sanctified and kept me in the true faith." So what is the easy answer? We can't, but God can and I think I will let him. Coming know Jesus as Lord is the complete work of the Holy Spirit, as we surrender pride and self reliance and come to faith in Jesus.

Later we will see the transformation of the disciples as they do end up dying for Jesus in true faith and allegiance to the Holy Spirit. So the question is where are you tempted to deny Jesus? A better question might be where are you relying on yourself? Jesus is ahead of us and by the. Holy Spirit he will lead us home.

Jesus thank you for the promise that you who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it. Guide us by. Your Spirit to pick up our cross and follow you, amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?