Asking For Wisdom?

Today's Proverbs passage from chapter 8 is titled, "Wisdom's Call". Like a lot of other passages in Proverbs, it "personifies" wisdom as if it were a human character. Wisdom is usually personified as a female using the terms "she" and "her". In doing this it makes wisdom more personal as it counsels and guides us, and answers us when we call. This is backed by what the New Testament says in James 1:5 when it says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."

The Proverbs give the incalculable nature of the riches that wisdom brings. By choosing wisdom it is more valuable than silver, gold and rubies. It will bring wealth and prosperity and satisfy the desires of your heart. And, it is available to all people, including kings, princes and rulers. Again we see the personification of wisdom when the passage says, "I love those who love me, and those who seek me will find me."

We don't often talk about wisdom in the church, mainly because of the mysterious nature of it. Or, perhaps passages like this are too abstract for us. But yet everyday we make decisions. And the question is do we seek God's wisdom, or our own? Or, maybe even someone else's? I've always loved hearing the phrase, "wisdom is seeing things from God's perspective." So where does wisdom come from, how do we obtain it? The obvious answer is by asking for it, which is certainly true. But we know wisdom is always guided by God's Word. Meaning if wisdom is telling you to do something totally contrary to God's Word, you should probably question it's source. We know also wisdom is guided by the Holy Spirit, which guides us into all truth and comes alongside of us to direct our path.

So do you have a big decision today that you are unsure of? Why don't you ask God for wisdom? As you do be led by God's Word and the Holy Spirit, and you will certainly be led down the right path! Here is what wisdom promises you,

"With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
and making their treasuries full."

Proverbs 8:1-21
Wisdom’s Call
8 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 At the highest point along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gate leading into the city,
at the entrance, she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O people, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.
6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
12 “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.
13 To fear the Lord is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
and nobles—all who rule on earth.
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me find me.
18 With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
and making their treasuries full.

Other passages for today: Psalm 46, Mark 3:13-19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?