Don't Hinder the Children!

Today, the disciples try to rebuke those who are bringing little children to Jesus. Perhaps they were trying to protect him for what they deemed an unimportant matter. To the contrary Jesus says, "Bring the little children to me for the kingdom belongs to such as these." Then he makes another qualifying statement and says, "If anyone does not receive the kingdom of God like one of these they will never enter it."

So not only does he welcome the little kids, but he uses them as a model for how enter into God's kingdom. So what do you think he is trying to teach the disciples here? What is it about little children that makes them so suitable for Jesus and the kingdom. I think the biggest thing is trust. Kids will naturally trust in the authority figures around them, until they are given a reason not to. That is why child abuse or neglect is awful,and leaves scars for many years. Those who have been subject to this often have a hard time trusting authority figures. But these little children have come to Jesus for a blessing. Notice too the trust in Jesus from the parents who bring their kids to him.

So I think there are two things to learn here. One the best place to bring our kids is to Jesus. Most of the time we spend running around getting our kids to every activity. Our whole lives seem to be making sure our kids get to their activities on time. But do we bring our kids to Jesus? Jesus says he will accept them and they can begin a life of trusting the One who will never let them down. Second, do we come to Jesus like a child trusting in Him? As we trust and follow Him, we enter God's kingdom and begin to partner with him in bringing God's kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. Let's continue to not hinder the children in coming to Jesus, for to such belongs the kingdom. And then use them as a model as we trust in Jesus for the way we life our lives!

Psalm 86
A prayer of David.

1 Hear me, Lord, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
2 Guard my life, for I am faithful to you;
save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; 3 have mercy on me, Lord,
for I call to you all day long.
4 Bring joy to your servant, Lord,
for I put my trust in you.
5 You, Lord, are forgiving and good,
abounding in love to all who call to you.
6 Hear my prayer, Lord;
listen to my cry for mercy.
7 When I am in distress, I call to you,
because you answer me.
8 Among the gods there is none like you, Lord;
no deeds can compare with yours.
9 All the nations you have made
will come and worship before you, Lord;
they will bring glory to your name.
10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, Lord,
that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.
12 I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths,
from the realm of the dead.
14 Arrogant foes are attacking me, O God;
ruthless people are trying to kill me—
they have no regard for you.
15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and have mercy on me;
show your strength in behalf of your servant;
save me, because I serve you
just as my mother did.
17 Give me a sign of your goodness,
that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

Genesis 16:1-14
Hagar and Ishmael
16 Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”

Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the Lord judge between you and me.”

6 “Your slave is in your hands,” Abram said. “Do with her whatever you think best.” Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.

7 The angel of the Lord found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. 8 And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”

“I’m running away from my mistress Sarai,” she answered.

9 Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.” 10 The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”

11 The angel of the Lord also said to her:

“You are now pregnant
and you will give birth to a son.
You shall name him Ishmael,
for the Lord has heard of your misery.
12 He will be a wild donkey of a man;
his hand will be against everyone
and everyone’s hand against him,
and he will live in hostility
toward all his brothers.”
13 She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen[ the One who sees me.” 14 That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered.

Luke 18:15-17
The Little Children and Jesus
15 People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?