Grace in Time of Need!

In today's reading we have David's unflappable and unwavering trust in God, despite the fact that his enemies are bearing down on all sides. In his distress he calls out to God and trusts that He will deliver him because God alone is powerful. His acts of power will show that He is the one and only true God. Then David asks him to teach him the way so he can have an undivided heart. David sees the challenges before him and He asks God how he can learn to trust is His unfailing love. David teaches us that it is not always easy to trust God, especially when the circumstances around us threaten our health or security. What I like the most about David is that he does not hesitate to cry out to God and be honest with exactly what He needs. He knows God intimately and trusts him completely.

Where is God calling you to trust him completely? Maybe it a health or security issue? Maybe it is in a relationship that is difficult? Maybe you are doubting God's goodness because of some trials He has allowed in your life? What do you fear the most?

David is a great example of how to trust and call out to God in spite of what is going on around you. Nobody can teach you how to trust God. The only way we learn to trust God is to have faith in His promises and then act on them. Oftentimes when we go through a difficult time where there are no immediate answers to our situation, it is difficult to have faith in a God you cannot see. All of our tests are different, but the one thing that remains the same is that it is a test of our faith. It's fairly easy to trust God when things are going well, but deeper faith is required when things aren't going so well, or we are suffering.

It is encouraging to know that even Jesus went through similar trials as we do. We don't have a God that is aloof to suffering. In fact it was Jesus who said, "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" But in the end Jesus put His trust in His Father when he uttered, "Into your hands I commend my spirit." Maybe today you can take your struggle and say to God, "into your hands I commend ... ".

I think Hebrews 4:15-16 sums it up best as the writer describes Jesus as the Great High Priest,

"We do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Psalm 86
A prayer of David.

1 Hear me, Lord, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
2 Guard my life, for I am faithful to you;
save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; 3 have mercy on me, Lord,
for I call to you all day long.
4 Bring joy to your servant, Lord,
for I put my trust in you.
5 You, Lord, are forgiving and good,
abounding in love to all who call to you.
6 Hear my prayer, Lord;
listen to my cry for mercy.
7 When I am in distress, I call to you,
because you answer me.
8 Among the gods there is none like you, Lord;
no deeds can compare with yours.
9 All the nations you have made
will come and worship before you, Lord;
they will bring glory to your name.
10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, Lord,
that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.
12 I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths,
from the realm of the dead.
14 Arrogant foes are attacking me, O God;
ruthless people are trying to kill me—
they have no regard for you.
15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and have mercy on me;
show your strength in behalf of your servant;
save me, because I serve you
just as my mother did.
17 Give me a sign of your goodness,
that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

1 Samuel 9:27-10:8
27 As they were going down to the edge of the town, Samuel said to Saul, “Tell the servant to go on ahead of us”—and the servant did so—“but you stay here for a while, so that I may give you a message from God.”

10 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance? 2 When you leave me today, you will meet two men near Rachel’s tomb, at Zelzah on the border of Benjamin. They will say to you, ‘The donkeys you set out to look for have been found. And now your father has stopped thinking about them and is worried about you. He is asking, “What shall I do about my son?”’

3 “Then you will go on from there until you reach the great tree of Tabor. Three men going up to worship God at Bethel will meet you there. One will be carrying three young goats, another three loaves of bread, and another a skin of wine. 4 They will greet you and offer you two loaves of bread, which you will accept from them.

5 “After that you will go to Gibeah of God, where there is a Philistine outpost. As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, timbrels, pipes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying. 6 The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. 7 Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.

8 “Go down ahead of me to Gilgal. I will surely come down to you to sacrifice burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, but you must wait seven days until I come to you and tell you what you are to do.”

2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1
Warning Against Idolatry
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”
17 Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”
18 And,

“I will be a Father to you,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”
7 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!