Holy Things

Today we have The Lord directing Moses to anoint everything in the tabernacle. The tent of the meeting, the table, the lamp stand and all the other articles related to worshipping God. The oil was made up of a special blend of perfumes and resins such as frankincense and myrrh. These were two of gifts the Magi brought for the Baby Jesus in Bethlehem, led by the star. The incense was made from ground up frankincense and other spices and perfumes. The oil was also used to anoint Aaron and his sons who served as priests in the tabernacle. Importantly Moses is given explicit instructions not to use this mixture for anything other than the uses for which it was consecrated. In a sense the things used for worship could be termed "holy things" and the priests "holy men". The term means set apart for a special purpose. Usually the term is used derogatory manner today saying things like, "he is a holy roller". Or, "she always acts holier than thou." It's interesting that such an important biblical term has been reduced to a primarily pejorative usage. The bottom line was God wanted the things they worshipped with and the people who led to be set apart for Him alone. This was no ordinary thing they were doing. They were worshipping a holy God, who needed to be approached as such.

Do you think we lose a little of this sense of God's holiness today? Sometimes we treat God just like another buddy. Sometimes church becomes so casual we forget to worship the majesty of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We can't go too far here because we know God is also imminent. God wants us to be in relationship with Him and know we are loved by Him. He sent Jesus to show his personal love for us and Jesus ushered into a relationship with God by grace through faith. We never want to make God inaccessible to ordinary people like you and me. And yet this personal and intimate nature of God must be balanced with the holiness and transcendence of God. The church will usually tend to be on one side or the other.

The "high" churches like Orthodox, Catholic and some Lutheran and Episcopal churches have this sense to them. Some even still burn incense and even pattern worship areas like ones in the passage today. On the other hand you have churches that are more informal. In the early American church the Puritans took all the art out of the church and it was very austere. Some churches meet in gyms or restaurants today. I don't think you can say either is right or wrong. The important thing is that we are worshipping one God expressed in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And of course holiness doesn't just come from things external, but through the Holy Spirit which we are anointed with when we come to faith and are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Psalm 69:1-5

For the director of music. To the tune of “Lilies.” Of David.

1 Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
looking for my God.
4 Those who hate me without reason
outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
what I did not steal.
5 You, God, know my folly;
my guilt is not hidden from you.

Psalm 69:30-36
30 I will praise God’s name in song
and glorify him with thanksgiving.
31 This will please the Lord more than an ox,
more than a bull with its horns and hooves.
32 The poor will see and be glad—
you who seek God, may your hearts live!
33 The Lord hears the needy
and does not despise his captive people.
34 Let heaven and earth praise him,
the seas and all that move in them,
35 for God will save Zion
and rebuild the cities of Judah.
Then people will settle there and possess it;
36 the children of his servants will inherit it,
and those who love his name will dwell there.

Exodus 30:22-38
Anointing Oil
22 Then the Lord said to Moses, 23 “Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much (that is, 250 shekels) of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels of fragrant calamus, 24 500 shekels of cassia—all according to the sanctuary shekel—and a hin of olive oil. 25 Make these into a sacred anointing oil, a fragrant blend, the work of a perfumer. It will be the sacred anointing oil. 26 Then use it to anoint the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law, 27 the table and all its articles, the lampstand and its accessories, the altar of incense, 28 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and the basin with its stand. 29 You shall consecrate them so they will be most holy, and whatever touches them will be holy.

30 “Anoint Aaron and his sons and consecrate them so they may serve me as priests. 31 Say to the Israelites, ‘This is to be my sacred anointing oil for the generations to come. 32 Do not pour it on anyone else’s body and do not make any other oil using the same formula. It is sacred, and you are to consider it sacred. 33 Whoever makes perfume like it and puts it on anyone other than a priest must be cut off from their people.’”

Incense
34 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Take fragrant spices—gum resin, onycha and galbanum—and pure frankincense, all in equal amounts, 35 and make a fragrant blend of incense, the work of a perfumer. It is to be salted and pure and sacred. 36 Grind some of it to powder and place it in front of the ark of the covenant law in the tent of meeting, where I will meet with you. It shall be most holy to you. 37 Do not make any incense with this formula for yourselves; consider it holy to the Lord. 38 Whoever makes incense like it to enjoy its fragrance must be cut off from the people.

Acts 22:2-16
2 When they heard him speak to them in Aramaic, they became very quiet.

Then Paul said: 3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today. 4 I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison, 5 as the high priest and all the Council can themselves testify. I even obtained letters from them to their associates in Damascus, and went there to bring these people as prisoners to Jerusalem to be punished.

6 “About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?’

8 “‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked.

“ ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ he replied. 9 My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me.

10 “‘What shall I do, Lord?’ I asked.

“ ‘Get up,’ the Lord said, ‘and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do.’ 11 My companions led me by the hand into Damascus, because the brilliance of the light had blinded me.

12 “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. 13 He stood beside me and said, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very moment I was able to see him.

14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!