Don't Forget the Oil!

Today's readings show two instances of those who continually did not heed the warnings given to them and their continual rebellion and foolishness separated them from God. While Eli's son Samuel, grew up in God's presence as God was preparing him for the role he would play in the life of Israel, his other sons were on a different path. Despite knowing God's law, they not only committed adultery but did it in the tent of meeting. This was a place God met with the people. It was a holy place and they sinned not only against the women, but The Lord. So Eli says, if you had sinned against a person God could mediate, but if you sin against God who can intercede. They were indeed in a precarious position.

In the parable of the ten virgins we don't see quite as much background on their character, but when it came time to meet the bridegroom, five were wise and five were foolish. The wise ones came prepared with oil to meet the bridegroom, but the foolish ones neglected to bring this crucial supply. When the bridegroom took longer than expected they all feel asleep. And when he came, the foolish virgins realized they had no oil to light their lamps. As they went to get some, the bridegroom came and the virgins with their lamps lit came into the wedding banquet and the door was shut. When the foolish virgins came back, it was too late the door was shut.

Both of these stories show that while God is God of grace, we are treading on thin ice when we think we can wait until the last minute to get our act together. There are some who think I am just going live a life of excess and sin and then shape up when I need to. I will roll the dice and then get things together when Jesus comes back. There are several fatal flaws in this approach to life. Most importantly since we don't know when Jesus will return as He promised, we should be ready at any time when he will return and not be caught off guard. Second, there are no guarantees that this lifestyle won't bring several consequences in this life. Finally, as we live the life God calls us to, God promises to bless our lives so that we can bless others as well. To follow God's plan and will is the life we've always wanted all along that God made us for. Jesus calls this the "abundant life". And He gives it tus free of charge.

Today is as good as any day to ask, "Am I ready?" And remember, don't forget the oil!

Psalm 139
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

Psalm 139:13-18
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

1 Samuel 2:21-25
21 And the Lord was gracious to Hannah; she gave birth to three sons and two daughters. Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord. 22 Now Eli, who was very old, heard about everything his sons were doing to all Israel and how they slept with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 23 So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours. 24 No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the Lord’s people is not good. 25 If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death.

Matthew 25:1-13
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
25 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?