gods vs. God!

In Isaiah 46, the prophet compares the gods of Babylon with the one true God, Yahweh. He describes their gods as a beast of burden. They make their gods from gold, carry it to the spot of worship and there it sits unable to move or speak. They cry out to it and it does not answer. It cannot save them from their time of trouble, and their burden remains on their shoulders.

The prophet contrasts these gods, with the God of Jacob, who has made them and carried them from their youth. The Lord says, "I have made you and I will sustain you. I will rescue you in times of trouble. You can give me your burdens and I will carry them. When you call out to me I will answer you." God is unique and there is no other one like him. He uses birds of prey and humans alike for his Divine purpose. The prophet looks forward to this purpose, which will be fulfilled in Jesus the son of God. But for now Isaiah is speaking to the rebellious and stubborn Israelites, who are far from His righteousness. He is saying, "Listen to me for I know you and made you and have a purpose for your life."

Today, we still struggle worshiping the gods of this age. While we might not erect statues of them, our attitudes and actions reveal who we are following. Like the Israelites there are some who used to follow Jesus with an undivided heart, and now stray from him. And ultimately at the heart of it is our personal relationship with God. Isaiah reminds us that God made us and knows us and has a purpose in mind for us. But as long as we rebel from him, we will miss out on God's purpose for our lives and the relationship he desires for us as His children.

Jesus comes and shows us how to live this life, as he maintained a personal relationship with His Father and fulfilled the great purpose God had for him, the salvation of the world. Jesus says as well, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest, rest for your souls." Why would we carry our burdens and serve the purposeless and burdensome gods of this world, when we can serve the One True God. This is the God who made us, knows us and has given us a spiritual gift for His purpose in this world.

Isaiah 46
Gods of Babylon
46 Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low;
their idols are borne by beasts of burden.[a]
The images that are carried about are burdensome,
a burden for the weary.
2 They stoop and bow down together;
unable to rescue the burden,
they themselves go off into captivity.
3 “Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,
all the remnant of the people of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since your birth,
and have carried since you were born.
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
5 “With whom will you compare me or count me equal?
To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
6 Some pour out gold from their bags
and weigh out silver on the scales;
they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god,
and they bow down and worship it.
7 They lift it to their shoulders and carry it;
they set it up in its place, and there it stands.
From that spot it cannot move.
Even though someone cries out to it, it cannot answer;
it cannot save them from their troubles.
8 “Remember this, keep it in mind,
take it to heart, you rebels.
9 Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
10 I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say, ‘My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please.’
11 From the east I summon a bird of prey;
from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.
What I have said, that I will bring about;
what I have planned, that I will do.
12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,
you who are now far from my righteousness.
13 I am bringing my righteousness near,
it is not far away;
and my salvation will not be delayed.
I will grant salvation to Zion,
my splendor to Israel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?