Good and Bad Leadership!

In today's readings we see two types of leaders. King Jeroboam had led the people into sin and the worship of idols. So God tore away the kingdom from him and he lost the privilege of leading. In 1 Timothy we see the apostle Paul. Though he was once a blasphemer, and as he calls himself "the worst of sinners", he received God's mercy through Christ. Though he was once far away from God, God proved his love to Paul by sending His Son to save sinners like him. Jesus didn't come into the world to save those who were righteous but sinners. Paul sums this up by saying that God showed grace and mercy to the worst of sinners, so His patience would be revealed to all.

And then he says something profound for Christian leadership. He says. "He considered me trustworthy". It was God who chose Paul to show him mercy, and then equipped him to bring the Gospel to the Gentiles, for which he labored so well for the rest of his life. And then at the end of the reading, Paul is now passing the torch of leadership to Timothy. He is instructing him to follow his ways and the prophecy made about him. This could have been a direct prophecy by someone like Titus, who had a prophetic gift. Or, it could have been in a general sense of those who knew Timothy would be a fine leader someday. Either way, Paul commits his charge to him and commands him to be faithful, and fight the good battle against the spiritual forces that will inevitably get in his way. He warns him against others who Paul cites have already shipwrecked their faith, by not listening to their conscience.

So if leadership is defined as influence. A Christian leader influences others to become more like Christ and to pursue their holy calling to serve him. Paul is an excellent example of someone who regarded God's entrusting leadership as a great privilege and responsibility. And now he is imploring Timothy to follow him and Christ in the same manner as he leads in Paul's stead.

So the question today is where has God entrusted you to lead? Maybe it is in your home. Maybe in your job. Or, maybe with some responsibility in the local church. One day we will all given an account of the gifts and tasks we have been given and entrusted with. Jeroboam was foolish and didn't carry out the calling God gave him, and the results were bad for both he and his family. The apostle Paul faithfully lived out his call, despite being the worst of sinners in his former life.

In Paul's second letter to his protege Timothy, listen to how he summarizes his life in 2 Timothy 4,

"6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."


1 Timothy 1:12-20
The Lord’s Grace to Paul
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The Charge to Timothy Renewed
18 Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well, 19 holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith. 20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?