The Great Cover Up!

One of the things I love about the psalms is the honesty of the writers. They bare their hearts and do not hide anything that is really going on in their lives. Today we have King David, who is pretty well known for his psalms of confession. And when you read of his life, he had a few things to confess. And who doesn't have a lot to confess if you are human.

But today he gives the antidote for being caught in sin. But before that we see his condition when he held back his true condition from God. He says, "When I kept silent, my bones wasted way through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped from me as in the heat of summer." Before David turned from his sin and turned to God he was miserable. Then he says something very significant. He says, "then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my deceit." David already knew all he had to do was acknowledge what was already true. God already knew so trying to cover up was of no use. You can only cover up for so long on the outside, until what is true on the inside is revealed.

But the Good News is that when he was honest with God, God covered his transgression. When David uncovered what was really going on with him, God covered him. Just like He covered Adam and Eve in the garden with animal skins when they realized they were naked and ashamed after their sin was revealed. And David starts out by saying, Blessed is the one whose transgressions are covered and whose sin does not count against them."

So we see two things, how merciful and forgiving our God is, even when we don't deserve it. And how our tendency is to hide out and cover up our sin. But when we turn to God and turn from what we know is wrong we are blessed. Blessedness is different than happiness. It is a joy that only can come from God through Jesus.

What are you covering up in your life? Who are you when no one is looking? Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come clean with Him, so He can extend His great mercy and love to you.

Father, as we come before you we confess those things we are doing in our lives which we know are wrong. Instead of hiding from you we now turn to you. Thank you for sending Jesus to show how you love us and went to whatever length it took to restore our relationship with you. Amen.

Psalm 32
Of David. A maskil.[a]

1 Blessed is the one
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord does not count against them
and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent,
my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night
your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.[b]
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave
the guilt of my sin.
6 Therefore let all the faithful pray to you
while you may be found;
surely the rising of the mighty waters
will not reach them.
7 You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
but the Lord’s unfailing love
surrounds the one who trusts in him.
11 Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous;
sing, all you who are upright in heart!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?