Why Should I Read the Bible?

Psalm 119 is an acrostic, with each letter of the Hebrew alphabet having a paragraph that gives instruction concerning God's word. Today's section is titled,"Beth" pronounced "bet" in Hebrew. It was the second letter in the Hebrew alphabet. The order from the beginning is, "aleph, Beth, gimel, daleth ..." Students in Hebrew school would memorize large chunks of the Torah, the first five books of the bible, also called the "Pentateuch".

Today, the psalm writer gives us insight to the centrality of the Word to Jewish piety and how rabbi's taught people to, "hide your word in my heart". And, of course, the writer gives several benefits to living according to God's Word. He says, in effect, the only way you can lead a life that is pleasing to God, a life of purity, is by the power of God's word being applied in your life. And as one learns to understand God's word it becomes pleasing to us as well, like delicious morsels of bread.

So what are the practical ways this verse instructs us to be lovers of God's word? First, it says to seek God with all of your heart. We read God's Word to seek him and to know him. And the ways we hide God's Word in our hearts is first of all to read it. Then, to recount it, or memorize it. And, then to meditate on it and consider God's ways. Meaning, we read not only to understand it, but then to ask the question, "what does God want me to do about this?"

The primary purpose of the bible is to lead us to Jesus, but it also is a trustworthy guide and path for our lives. Reading the bible not only reminds us of God's plan for humanity that centers on God sending Jesus to the world to save us, but the bible also teaches us how to "really live". God has inspired, through the 66 books of the Old and New Testament, how we can know Him and lead a life pleasing to Him.

Please hear this is to not try and lay a guilt complex on you. Pastors are always telling you to read the bible more often and more diligently. But maybe we don't explain nearly as much why you should read the bible. What inspires me to read the bible is to realize that these are actually God's words spoken to us, His followers, over thousands of years. The bible has "stood the test of time". The bible promises never to lead you astray as you are led by the Holy Spirit to ask the question, "what would you like to say to me today?" I find when I read the bible expecting God to show up and show me something new about who He is, it gives me a completely different motivation than just, "well I guess I really should read the bible".

My prayer is that we would continue to hide God's word in our hearts, and it would transform us to lead lives worthy of our heavenly calling in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Beth

9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?